BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Invisible Children Entry 1

I was not looking forward to coming to Uganda like I was. Unlike my last trips, in which I was simply vacationing, I am now traveling with the folks from Invisible Children, Laren, Jason, and Bobby. After John showed us the video about the child soldiers, I feared for the Ugandan children's lives, and now had to fear for my own. It was only the four of us on the plane, and the plane was rather small. I guess Uganda isn't really a touristy place(I wonder why?...). Once we got off of the plane, we were immediately greeted by the 100 degree weather. We got a cab, and traveled to the city of Gulu. The town was how I had imagined it to be. People carrying jugs of water on their heads, small shacks, and lots of people. We were originally supposed to be staying in the town next to Gulu, but were (thankfully!) informed that the town was being raided, and wasn't safe. We decided to stay with the night commuters
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e3/Uganda_night_commuters_-_full_room.jpg to get a little taste of what it is like living in Uganda. We met a boy named Innocent. Innocent was a night commuter, he had to walk three or four hours a day to find a safe place to sleep. He told us about how he had seen friends and family being abducted by the rebels, and being forced to kill their own people. I felt depressed, and lucky at the same time. Lucky, because in America, we don't have to experience what so many people, like Innocent have to, and depressed to imagine what horrible things he had to see. He told us about he had always wanted to be a politician, but knew he couldn't, because he couldn't afford it. It was getting quite late, and we decided to settle down for the night in the cold, wet, and dismal basement of a hospital, just feeling fortunate to be alive.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I really like your descriptive words. I think that your blog was very realistic. I would have loved to "be there" to see Innocent's face when you cave him a Power Bar.
-Zoe :)

Hana L. said...

Very good! I liked it all!

Alex V said...

wow, your writing is really powerful. ever think about being an author? i would buy your books!

Edwards, Louisa said...

Very powerful writing, it makes me feel as if I were there with the night commuters myself. Nice job! :]