BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Invisible Children Entry Two

We woke up at dawn to the sound of people shouting in a different language. I could smell fire right outside of the hospital. I thought I was crazy, but appearantly I wasn't because, as if reading my mind, Bobby said,"Does anybody else smell fire outside?". Someone went out to see what it was, and came back to inform us that the rebels were here and that we would have to stay in the building until they were gone. Innocent told us that it probably wouldn't be long and that we shouldn't worry too much about it, since we have people with guns guarding the people inside the hospital. We were all getting pretty hungry at this point. The Invisible Children dudes had prepared for this, and gave me and Innocent some Power Bars. I ate mine, and Innocent stared at his like it was from a different planet. He opened his, took a bite, and loved it. He smiled real wide, and ate the rest of the bar in only one bite. We all laughed and finished our Power Bars too. After about an hour, the noises stopped. I could no longer smell any fire. The rebels had disappeared. We thanked Innocent for letting us stay with him, and started walking around outside. We saw a couple of dead people, outside, and were very saddened. Some shacks were also burned down. Despite all of this, we could hear people singing. I couldn't understand why they sounded so happy, I mean, they just had their houses burned down, and their people were killed. Innocent said." That is just how Ugandans are, we can find happiness in even the worst of situations". We spent the day helping the people rebuild their homes, even though we couldn't even communicate with them. It felt nice to know that we were helping people in need.

1 comments:

Hannah D said...

No Nicole, you are going crazy, but it is a really good blog. At least you put pictures.
Hannah